The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute is the biggest institution for public health, international health and tropical medicine in Switzerland. The institute with over 700 employees delivers a sustainable contribution with its research, education and services to the improvement of health worldwide.
The Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH), within the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, develops and applies epidemiological, statistical and mathematical methods to advance innovation, validation, and application in the field of public health. Within the Infectious Disease Modelling Unit of EPH we are looking for a:
PhD student in Mathematical Modelling of Malaria
We are seeking a PhD student to join a multidisciplinary team working on mathematical and statistical modelling of the dynamics of malaria, in the context of international collaborations. This position is linked to the Swiss National Science Foundation Professorship of Melissa Penny on multi-scale mathematical modelling of parasite, drug and vaccine interactions. It will involve developing mathematical and statistical models of malaria dynamics and/or resistance evolution, and their application to the assessment of new interventions for control and elimination of malaria.
Required qualifications for the PhD position are:
(1) a Master’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Ecology or other relevant field;
(2) strong quantitative, analytical and programming skills (preferably in at least one of R, C++, or Python);
(3) interest and/or expertise in the areas of infectious disease modelling, epidemiology, public health, ecology;
(4) ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English, with good presentation skills;
(5) ability to work independently and as part of a team on large research projects;
(6) ability to initiate, plan, implement and deliver programs of work to tight deadlines;
(7) applicants with previous expertise in infectious disease modelling are especially encouraged to apply.
The successful applicant will be registered for a PhD degree at the University of Basel, Switzerland. The studentship provides support for 3 years at a doctoral salary at Swiss National Science Foundation scale.
The position is available from 1st August 2018 but a later starting date is possible by negotiation.
The closing date for applications is 31st May 2018.
If you are interested, please submit your application online via the link provided below, in English with CV, motivation letter, publication list, complete course grades and transcripts and the names and addresses of 2-3 referees.
Note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool. Applications via email or recruiting agencies will not be considered.
For further information about the position please contact Professor Melissa Penny firstname.lastname@example.org+41 (0)61 284 87 01 and visit our website https://www.swisstph.ch/en/about/eph/infectious-disease-modelling/