The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute is the biggest institution for public health, international health and tropical medicine in Switzerland. The institute with over 700 employees delivers a sustainable contribution with its research, education and services to the improvement of health worldwide.
The Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH), within the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, develops and applies epidemiological, statistical and mathematical methods to advance innovation, validation, and application in the field of public health. Within the Health Systems and Dynamical Modelling Unit of EPH we are looking for candidates for several positions:
Postdoctoral Scientist(s) in Mathematical Modelling of Malaria
The positions are linked to projects funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
We are seeking several scientists to join a multidisciplinary team working on the modelling of malaria dynamics, in the context of international collaborations. There are many urgent issues concerning the assessment of new interventions, control and elimination of malaria that can only be answered through quantitative modelling. You will be a key team member, collaborating with other researchers based in Swiss TPH and the Malaria Modelling consortium of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
We are looking for candidates with programming and mathematical modeling skills, with an interest in public health in low-income countries and with the ability to deliver to tight deadlines. A PhD in a relevant discipline and experience of working in a relevant area are essential.
We are specifically looking for candidates who have a track record in producing high quality academic publications, with evidence of research in relevant fields.
In summary, required qualifications are:
(1) PhD in Mathematics, statistics or related discipline. eg: quantitative epidemiology, ecology modelling
(2) Strong quantitative, analytical and programming skills (preferably in at least one of R, C++,
(3) Expertise/background and/or interest in areas of infectious disease or biological modelling, epidemiology, public health;
(4) Ability to initiate, develop and deliver high quality research and to publish in peer reviewed journals
(5) Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English, with good presentation and teaching skills
(6) Ability to work independently and as part of a team on large research projects
(7) Ability to initiate, plan, implement and deliver programs of work to tight Deadlines
Applicants with expertise in the areas of infectious disease modelling are especially encouraged to apply.
The post will be based at the Swiss TPH in Basel and the successful applicant/s will receive a two year contract on the Swiss National Science Foundation salary scale.
The position is available immediately but a later starting date is possible by negotiation.
There is no closing date for application, but we encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible. As long as the position is published on the website of Swiss TPH it is still open.
Also, note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool. Applications via email will not be answered. Thank you for your understanding.
Please upload your complete application documentation – including motivation letter and references – using the application button below (please use our standardized CV whenever possible).